To preview other Botanic Gardens in the West, go here.
The San Luis Obispo Botanical Garden on Dairy Road just off Highway 1 is definitely a work in progress. If you are in the area, however, there is a charming park along a creek in the heart of downtown historic San Luis Obispo, planted with a mix of Mediterranean and native Californian plants.
Two important historical sites are adjacent to the park: The San Luis Obispo Mission and the San Luis Obispo Historical Society museum. Shops and art galleries line nearby streets. Altogether it makes a lovely place to stop on a trip between San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Our 8 Most Popular Newsletters
- Six flowering plants that reliably bloom in scorching mid-summer heat.
- Cactus as security barriers for your property.
- Australian plants and trees that grow well in hot, dry climates.
- A white garden for night time viewing.
- How to combat death by heat exhaustion of plants in pots.
- Topiary can be easy to create and add charm to your garden.
- Weather-proofing palms for winter; cold weather palm trees.
- Non-toxic weed control and early signs of Spring.